There's a lot to think about when buying travel insurance, here's our checklist of important things to consider when choosing a policy:
- How long is your stay?
- Which country are you visiting?
- How many people are travelling with you?
- What ages are your travelling companions?
- Are there any children with you?
- Are you eligible for family cover?
- Do you or any member of your party have a pre-existing medical condition?
- What kind of activities will you be participating in?
- Will you need to cover any hired equipment?
- What kind of cover do you have on your household contents insurance?
- Could you get cheaper cover from a specialist provider?
All policies are different but as a basic guide, when choosing a travel insurance policy ensure it covers you for:
- £1 million of medical cover in Europe
- £2 million in the States and the rest of the world
- Compensation cancellation or curtailment of your holiday including costs to get you home safely in an emergency
- Minimum of £ 1,500 cover for your baggage belongings
- N.B. Make sure you check the limit for individual items and don't take anything more valuable than this amount if possible
- £1 Million of personal liability cover in case you are responsible for any damage or injury
- Any legal costs
- A 24-hour emergency line
Ensure your chosen insurance company is a Membership of the Financial Ombudsman Service in case you have any problems claiming. The Ombudsman can intervene and make your insurer settle.