AXA warns over travel insurance for thrill seekers

1 comment

Activity holidays have witnessed a boom in popularity over recent years. However, this has brought with it new problems as many travellers now fail to get the correct level of cover on their travel insurance policies to cover the new events.

Insurance company AXA has just issued a warning to travellers, ahead of the summer break, to check their travel insurance documents carefully before they go away to make sure they know which activities they will be covered for.

Most insurance companies will have a standard list of activities that they provide cover for, but this can sometimes be limited to more traditional activities. With the growth of new and previously unknown activities, travellers may find that after making a claim they do not actually have cover for their chosen activity.

AXA highlights the new sports such as zorbing (getting inside an inflatable ball and rolling down a hill) and octopush (hockey played underwater) as just a couple of the new activities that are increasing in popularity but which may not be included on standard insurance policies. AXA has said that it has to constantly increase its level of cover to take these new activities into account, but that many insurers would not provide automatic cover for travellers.

If you have an accident abroad then the medical costs can be enormous. The average claim for an injury abroad is £744, but this can be a lot higher in many cases, and it is therefore essential to get the correct level of cover.

People who travel abroad to take part in any activities should definitely look at their policy documents to make sure that they are covered. You may be surprised by what is not covered (horse riding for example), and if you have an accident whilst taking part in a sport for which you are not insured then the results could be devastating.


Leave your comments

Please enter the validation code shown   
Your email address is required so we can verify that the comment is genuine. It will not be posted anywhere on the site, will be stored confidentially by us and never given out to any third party.

#1 Hello
I want to know the document that need as a distributor of a product made in uk that is in africa travelling to uk for training,
Pls kindly get back to me asap
Mr Isaac Mascout
Posted by Mr Isaac Mascout on 31/07/2009 at 13:28
Report Comment